POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Micrsoft trying to buy Yahoo! : Re: Micrsoft trying to buy Yahoo! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:19:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Micrsoft trying to buy Yahoo!
From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 9 Feb 2008 15:56:43
Message: <47ae138b@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Saul Luizaga <sau### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>> As you maight know for $us. 44.6 Billions. I think Yahoo should stay in
>> bussiness what do you think?
>
>   Who cares?

Well, me for instance, and I don't have a yahoo free e-mail account but
millions of  people do, and competition among free e-mail suppliers is
good for quality service. Why you think Yahoo!, AIM, Hotmail and others
have now huge Inboxes (about 5 GB) and a year or 2 ago was only about
5MB? I think is worth it that yahoo! keeps walking by itself.

>   I would wholeheartedly agree if it was Google instead of Yahoo (and,
> in fact, MS *has* tried buying Google, which refused).
>
>   But Yahoo? To me it doesn't have such an image as eg. Google has.

I know Google is the best thing on the Internet for what Google does,
(Internet and Office tools) but Yahoo! is good enough to stay on  The
Net, IMO.

>   If MS tried to buy the Free Software Foundation, that would be interesting.

That is MS & Bill Gates wet dream, dooms day for MS competition at the
best price possible (free).

>   I hate to defend Windows by principle, but I can't simply deny facts:
> The need for security patches is not a flaw exclusive to Windows, nor one
> can fairly expect an OS of that size to be completely flawless. The Linux
> kernel receives regular security patches, and this is true for most other
> OSes as well (such as Solaris and MacOS X).
>
>   What MS should do is to make their OS more efficient, lighter and with
> increased usability.

I agree completely, the only improvements MS does on their Windows OS
are on the next version they don't really add new functions or improve
the current ones, except maybe for SP2 of WinXP.

  They like to plagiate ideas from MacOS X, but they
> fail to replicate its user-friendliness and robustness.

I know security patches even apply to software like FireFox, Seamonkey,
Adobe Acrobat Reader and other but I think MS is overdue on this aspect.

For example did you know that Messenger service must be disabled as a
security practice? Service like in Windows' Service, not the application
itself.